So I have been a runner for years now and because of that I have had several experiences with animals & insects while running. These experiences always seem to elevate my heart -as if it's not already elevated- luckily I have never had anything really happen. Today while I was running I ran right into a swarm of 20 or 30 bees- it was TERRIFYING to say the least.
I will never forget the time I was running on Elk Grove Blvd. and bird kept diving down toward me. I think I must have looked hilarious to the drivers going by I was swerving, screaming and ducking. I think it followed me for about a half a mile. Naturally I have had several Dogs run after me and I Really Don't Like Dogs- I am inclined to carry mace because of them.
About 8 months ago there was a large duck or goose that kept charging me while I was running through this particular lake area near my house on several ocasions. I know that sounds kind of funny now but I was scared. He was mean!! I started carrying rocks whenever I got to that particular part of my run although I never ended up using them! I think he is gone now. I just have geese hiss at me sometimes. Needless to say I make an effort to run around the pack I've realized it is better for me and them not to get too close.
Chico is a beautiful place with a lot of wild life! One time Todd saw a mountain Lion- I'm just glad it was not me!!!!!!!! I see deer all the time and they are amazing! I also see squirrels, rabbits and raccoons; they are harmless but I don't ever get close to them. The down side of living in Chico is there is plenty of road kill to go around- literally!
And of coarse over the years I have had several instances where insects have been up my nose, swallowed, caught in my eye ect ect... The ironic thing about my bee experience today is I was just thinking how wonderful it was to have a break from the rain and nice to get a preview of spring- well I got a preview alright they were bumping into my arm, body and face and I thought for sure I was going to get stung. YIKES!
Monday, March 28, 2011
Running + Animals
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amber- I love reading this post. i can totally picture you ducking and dodging a bird. too funny. i can't believe you didn't get stung today. good thing.
Animals can be so scary when you're running... And I especially hate those stupid geese! Sometimes they set up camp on the trail behind our community. They are real stinkers. So cranky.
Post a Comment